Friday, April 4, 2014

Welcoming Artist Ray Brandolino

Canvas Gallery is pleased to welcome Toronto born artist Ray Brandolino:

Art has been an important focus for me throughout my life. And while I have experimented with different paint mediums and subject matter over the years, the one thing I keep coming back to is landscape. 

"Lone Tree" acrylic on canvas, 36" x 60" $2600

After several years hiatus, when I first began to work seriously on my art again, I was drawn toward abstract painting in a very geometric and graphic fashion. Yet, while this was rewarding and tremendously enjoyable, I found that what I really missed was painting landscapes. As a boy growing up I had always found great pleasure and creative inspiration from visiting the forested areas nearby where I lived. And now, once again, I have found the same thing and rediscovered the
joy of landscape painting.


"The View" acrylic on canvas, 8" x 48" $950

While I consider myself to be a mainly self-taught painter, the art school training I have had has provided me with a solid understanding of how to technically strengthen my work through colour and composition. One artist who definitely influenced me when I had the opportunity to study under him at the Ontario College Of Art is Chin Kok Tan. He stressed the importance of painting out of doors, using only 6 colours, and employing shape and colour value to enhance a piece. These are techniques I still apply today.


"Family" acrylic on canvas, 48" x 48" $3400

My long career in the graphic arts has also affected my style. I credit it with helping me craft the composition of a painting. I think it’s one of the most important things in painting, next to learning about whichever medium you choose to work with, and what your pallet of colours can do for you.


"Nature's Lines" acrylic on canvas, 36" x 36" $1600

As a painter my work is constantly evolving and I enjoy both realistic and abstract art. Whether I use acrylic, oil or other paint mediums, I like the idea of preserving a small piece of time through my art. For me the process of painting - the strategy of how to approach each piece of work - is the most enjoyable and challenging part of the experience.


"Caledon Meadow" acrylic on canvas, 48" x 36" $2400

For more information on Ray Brandolino as well as our other artists, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment